Last night I said to the other half, that the boy wasn’t feeling good. Oh he behaved like normal, but his face was starting to get his “infection” look. That’s the look when he’s eaten something he shouldn’t have, and needs an antibiotic shot at the vets, or if I spot an infected wound on him that needs treated (try at home first, by cleaning and using antibiotic cream, if that fails it’s a vet trip).
He wasn’t ill yet, but I suspected a wound somewhere, so checked him over. Found nothing.
Other half fed him this morning, and he was fine, and I fed him this afternoon, and again he was fine, apart from starting to get “that” look.
This evening I thawed out shrimp for him, as if there’s something that can perk him up, it’s shrimp. 🙂 Called him and he didn’t come downstairs. When there’s shrimp on offer, I make a sniffing sound, he knows the sound well, and if out he will come charging knowing it’s his special treat on offer.
He didn’t come downstairs. Panic ensues. I rush up the stairs as fast as I can, shrimp bowl still in hand. He’s in his chair, with his hind backed up towards the backrest.
He refuses to move, and howls if I try to touch him. I was certain it was his legs again.. Certain. A few years ago he dislocated his spine from his pelvis, he was completely lame and spent a month in a cage.
Other half rushing into the loft to get the carrier. We now got two options… if we can get him in the carrier we will take him to the emergency vet, if we cannot, the vet will have to come to the house.
Gently lift him as he howls in pain (and anger, for touching him when he clearly doesn’t want to) and place him in the carrier. He stands. He can stand!!!
We try to place him on the floor, and he himself walks ever so slowly the two steps into the carrier. He hates the carrier. He normally runs a mile as soon as he sees it. Clearly a sign he wants the vet to fix him.
So – on the phone to the emergency vet. After 10 minutes on the phone, me all frantic – the boy walks out of the carrier and bloody well leaves the room!!!
Anyway, on the vets suggestion, unless he get worse, hold off until tomorrow morning, and take him in during opening hours.
So – the boy is now confined to a room, with a littertray, food (inc shrimp – which he’s refusing to eat), water, a litterbox and blankets all over the floors, so he can get comfy where-ever he wants.
I’ll sleep in there with him tonight. If he gets worse I can then call the vets during the night. If he stays the same, he’ll be going to the vets in the morning. If he improves – well then that will make me very happy indeed. 🙂
Emergency vet thinks he might have been in a fight or had a fall a few days ago, as sometimes cats will get worse after a few days when the body’s rested. That might make sense, as I could see he wasn’t 100 percent last night.
Above pic taken once before when my boy had his “infection” face. It’s so different from his normal look. The face I saw last night wasn’t anywhere like this, but it had a hint of it. This is how gorgeous and beautiful he normally looks like.